How to take care of your home
On this page you will find useful tips for taking care of your apartment. If these instructions are not helpful, please submit a defect report.
The tenant is obliged to take good care of the apartment and to avoid any activities that may cause damage. If you notice any defects in your apartment that are the lessor’s responsibility to repair, please let us know immediately.
Water leakage or defective pipe joints
• Close the tap’s shut-off valves.
• Submit a defect report immediately.
The sewers or the stench trap aren’t working properly
- Open the stench trap, remove any accumulated material and wash with a mild detergent solution.
There is a draft by the windows or the air feels stuffy
- There are two types of ventilation systems in the buildings. The houses Z–Ö have mechanical exhaust ventilation. Check that the replacement air valves in the windows are open. Wash the valve if necessary.
- Houses A–Y have a mechanical input/extract air ventilation. Use a cloth or a vacuum cleaner to clean the outside of the ventilation valves.
- Wash the grease filter and extract air valves of the stove with a mild detergent solution at least twice a year. Remember that the inner adjustment part of the exhaust air valves must not be rotated/adjusted by yourself.
The radiator is cold
- Measure the temperature in the middle of the room, at about one meter’s height. The recommended temperature of the apartment is 21–22 degrees.
- Make sure the thermostat is turned open. The thermostat controls the radiator’s temperature. The radiator is generally warm only at the top. Keep an eye on the room temperature for a few days.
The balcony door handle does not turn
- Apply some lubricant into the metal longitudinal lock on the side of the door.
A fluorescent lamp or another fixed lamp is broken
- Replace the lamp and lighter.
Cabinet hinge, door handle, etc. is loose
- Tighten the screws.
TV channels are not displayed or the Internet is not working
- Tune the channels again, check the settings.
- If this does not help, contact DNA’s fault service (0800 300 500).
There’s no electricity in the apartment or any outlet
- Check the fuses. Lift the triggered fuse to ON position.
- Check if other residents have the same problem (lights in the yard, whether lights are on in other homes). Find out more from Turku Energia.
The lock of the parking spot post won’t open
- Apply some lubricant into the lock.
- Dishwasher: Regularly monitor the operation of the dishwasher and make sure that the hose connections do not leak. Clean the filter inside the dishwasher according to the instructions of the manufacturer.
- Refrigerator and freezer: Pull the fridge out of its place and vacuum the back of the machine at least once a year. Check the operation of the refrigerator and the freezer in accordance with the operating instructions. Be sure to melt the freezer according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Kitchen sink: Regularly clean the trash filter in the kitchen sink.
- Ventilation valves: Clean the ventilation valves from dust and dirt at least twice a year. If the cover is detachable, it can be washed with a mild detergent solution. Keep the valves open, do not cover them. Do not change valve settings.
- Cooker hood: Wash the grease filter of the cooker hood regularly with a mild detergent solution.
Bathroom and toilet
- Floor, walls and ceiling: Wipe the floor and wash the floor and walls regularly, as they can easily accumulate dirt and detergent residues. Always dry the floor after washing up.
- Floor drain: Regularly clean the floor drain and its interior, at least once a month.
- Sink: Clean the filter of the sink regularly.
- Washing machine: Follow the operation of the machine regularly and make sure the hose connections do not leak. Clean the machine’s lint filter according to the manufacturer’s operating instructions.
- Ventilation: Clean the ventilation valves from dust at least twice a year. If the cover is detachable, it can be washed with a mild detergent solution. Always keep the valves open, do not cover them. Make sure that air circulates properly. Check the ventilation units according to the operating instructions and remember that the valve adjustment position must not be changed.
- Remove water and trash from the balcony.
- Do not throw anything off the balcony (cigarette butts, rubbish, snow, etc.).